Accrington Cricket Club

Accrington 139, Enfield 201-9
4 Sports Worsley Cup Final
6th August 1989

Accrington 1st XI 1989
Accrington 1st XI 1989

A bumper crowd paid £2540 to see favourites Accrington play neighbours Enfield in the 4 Sports Worsley Cup Final at Thorneyholme Road. New Enfield skipper Paul Allen won the toss and elected to bat. Openers David Stanley and professional Gavin Larsen were up against Accrington professional Robert Haynes and young Neil Holmes in the early overs. Haynes bowled a couple of quiet overs but the Enfield pair attacked Holmes, who went for 15 in his second over with Stanley putting him over the wall at the Huncoat End for six. Accrington skipper David Lloyd brought himself into the attack at this point and the scoring rate slowed for a while. Larsen then hit Lloyd for two big sixes but as the innings approached the halfway mark, Haynes had Stanley caught behind by Billy Rawstron for 48 with the score on 89. Gary Barker came in and quickly got into his stride. Larsen brought up his half century with a six and Accrington introduced Ian Birtwistle into the attack. Larsen eventually fell for 65, caught by Lloyd running in from slip after edging a ball from Haynes onto his pad. Mas Ahmed gave the professional a return catch for 9 and then skipper Allen was stumped by Rawstron after giving Haynes the charge. Birtwistle bowled Nigel Cunliffe without scoring and Enfield were 154-5, but Keith Windle came in and scored a quick 26 with sharp singles and well hit boundaries off just 14 balls as Enfield picked up the tempo again. Windle fell to an excellent catch on the boundary by Haynes off Lloyd who also picked up Maz Iqbal in the same manner. Gary Barker was caught by Rawstron off Haynes for 30 and John Bramwell was held by Mark Greenhalgh off Haynes for 4. Enfield closed on 201-9 with Haynes taking 6-81 in 24 overs and Lloyd 2-51. Accrington openers Nick Marsh and Andy Barker found runs hard to come in facing Larsen and Bramwell. Barker was first to leave, caught by Cunliffe off Larsen for 2. Professional Haynes came in and the two left handers struggled with Larsen in particular proving hard to score off. Stanley joined the attack in the 11th over and he removed Haynes with his first ball for 6 and the home side were 23-2. Billy Rawstron joined Marsh and they battled for runs until Marsh skied Iqbal to Steve Juliff at mid on. The opener had made 34 and Mark Demaine joined Rawstron at the crease. These two tried to move the score along and they managed to score some boundaries but they also gave chances. Both survived until Demaine hit Stanley high in the air to Allen, who held the catch at long on. Much now rested on David Lloyd, but he didn't last long, being caught at slip by Larsen off Stanley for 4. Trevor Hatch soon followed his captain back up the steps again, caught by Allen at long on for 1 and Neil Barnes was run out off his first ball without scoring. Greenhalgh was bowled by Larsen for nought and Rawstron's fine knock ended when Larsen bowled him for 57. Stanley finished things off by bowling Birtwistle for a duck as Accrington's last 5 wickets fell for the addition of just 2 runs. Larsen took 3-52 for Enfield who won the cup for the third time in their history. David Stanley was named 'Man of the match' for his innings of 48 and his bowling figures of 5-54. Scorecard

If you have any memories of 1989 please email Nigel Stockley