Accrington Cricket Club

Rishton 93, Accrington 115
1st August 1970

Four to Ratters
Bob Ratcliffe in action

Accrington returned to the top of the table after a 22 run win at Rishton. Alan Worsick took 7-30 from 16.4 overs to bowl the home side out for 93 in reply to Accrington's 115 all out. Bob Ratcliffe hit his maiden senior half century in the Accrington innings. Rishton professional Ken Higgs took the first wicket of the contest by trapping opener Geoff Hayhurst in front for 4 with 7 runs on the board. Francis and Ratcliffe put on 70 for the 2nd wicket with the youngster taking the lead and outscoring his professional with some fine strokes around the wicket. he reached his first ever league half century in bizarre fashion, lobbing a seemingly simple return catch to Ronnie Smith who fumbled the chance. With the batsmen looking to scamper a quick single a wild throw went for four overthrows giving Ratcliffe his moment of glory. Smith split the partnership by having Francis caught at slip by Higgs (4-40) for 20. Ratcliffe then fell to Bob Coar in the next over after having hit eleven fours and a five, Higgs picking up another catch at slip. Lindon Dewhurst (2) soon followed caught by Keith Kennedy at mid on off Coar. Russ Cuddihy hit Smith back over his head for a straight six but when he and his partner finished up at the same end after a mix up, it was Brian Rutter (1) who made his way back to the pavilion. Cuddihy (11) and Alan Richardson took the score to 103 when Cuddihy hit one skywards for Eric Nuttall to safely take the catch. Richardson fell to Coar for 16 with skipper Eddie Robinson and Tony Farrell both falling to catches behind by Eric Whalley off Higgs without scoring. Coar (4-29) picked up his fourth wicket when Terry Neville was also caught by Kennedy for 3. After quiet start Worsick suddenly found some lift from the wicket in his third over. Kennedy was clean bowled for 4 with John Marsden (3) and Nuttall (0) departing to slip catches by Francis and Cuddihy off lifters. Peter Whelan (0) was caught behind by Neville and Billy Wilkinson (11) trapped in front all by Worsick as the home side slumped to 23-5 with Worsick having taken 5-10. Ratcliffe then joined the attack and broke a stubborn stand between Whalley and David Chew thanks to another catch behind by Neville that saw the end of Whalley for 5. Chew was then bowled by Robinson for 16. A change of ends brought more wickets for Worsick who removed Stuart Ormerod (6) and last man Coar (0) with Robinson dismissing Smith (a career best 23) thanks to a brilliant one handed catch by Farrell in between. Higgs finished unbeaten on 23 as Rishton were bowled out for 93 in the 38th over. Scorecard

If you have any memories of 1970 please email Nigel Stockley