Accrington Cricket Club

Accrington v Rawtenstall in the Worsley Cup

Accrington and Rawtenstall have met ten times in the Worsley Cup with Accrington winning three and Rawtenstall seven. The clubs have met twice in the final itself with Accrington winning the 1936 final and Rawtenstall winning the cup in 1976 for the first time ever.

Rawtenstall won the first two meetings between the clubs in the 1920s but Accrington came out on top in the 1936 final at Rawtenstall winning by 38 runs.

The clubs didn't meet again until the 1960s when Rawtenstall again came out on top in 1965 and 1968.

It was the same story in the 1970s with wins in 1972 and the classic 1976 final for Rawtenstall.

The 1980s saw Accrington claim their other two victories over Rawtenstall in the renamed Martini Trophy in 1981 at the group stage and in the semi final in 1986 on the way to winning the cup against Todmorden.

The last meeting between the two sides in the Worsley Cup was in 1993 when Rawtenstall won by the comprehensive margin of 9 wickets on the way to reaching the final.


Round 1 Saturday 13th May 1922
Accrington 151, Rawtenstall 186
A brilliant innings of 85 by Charlie Llewellyn failed to save Accrington from a 35 run defeat at the hands of Rawtenstall. Former Accrington player Johnson Moore hit eight fours in a top score of 59 for Rawtenstall with William Dickinson (3-29) and Llewellyn (3-75) taking 3 wickets each in the visitors innings of 186. Rawtenstall professional James Cook tore into Accrington's early order, ripping out skipper Jimmy Ramsbottom (5), Bill Finney (8) and George Parker (0) to put his side on top. Llewellyn played some classical strokes in his innings but no-one else could manage double figures even though Charlie Finney batted well for 9, Cook polished Accrington off for 151 in taking 5-52.

Round 1 Saturday, Tuesday 9th, 12th May 1925
Rawtenstall 134, Accrington 87
A devastating spell of bowling by Rawtenstall professional Ernie Smith ended Accrington's cup hopes at Bacup Road. Smith, who was Colne's professional last season when they beat Accrington in the final, took 8-34 to haunt Jimmy Ramsbottom's side again. The home side were 100-6 on a rain shortened first day with Harry Hitch having made 39 which turned out to be the home sides top score when the innings was concluded at 134 all out. Charlie Llewellyn's last bowl in the Worsley Cup brought him 5-67 with Stan Smith picking up 2-33. The Rawtenstall professional then made the most of the soft wicket with only Johnson Moore (23) and Ramsbottom (19) making double figures as Accrington were dismissed for 87.

Worsley Cup Final
Tuesday, Wednesday 25th, 26th August 1936
Rawtenstall 160, Accrington 198

Accrington captain Tom Walmsley won the toss and elected to bat on a perfect looking wicket. Bill Finney and Bert Walker put on 88 before both departed in quick succession.

Wickets tumbled regularly until Bailey and Harold Parmley steadied the ship to take the score to 130-6 when the innings was suspended.

When Rawtenstall batted, Jim Bailey, bowling medium pace, and Dick Whittaker were the opening attack. The home side lost Reg Hitch at 15 to Bailey and when Whittaker claimed professional Archie Slater and George Hargreaves both lbw, Rawtenstall were 61-3. Parmley dismissed Howarth and when Bailey returned to bowl his spinners, he soon bowled Taylor to have Rawtenstall 84-5.

Play continued until 7.30 when Rawtenstall closed with 7 wickets down, having passed 100. On Wednesday they carried the score up to 130 without further loss when the innings was suspended.

When Accrington resumed their innings they soon lost Parmley to be 132-7 with much resting on Jim Bailey. Young Ronnie Fitton joined him and together they put on 34 much needed runs until both fell within 6 runs of each other to leave the last pair at the crease.

Whittaker and Bill Hartley ground out 26 vital runs until Slater dismissed Hartley to leave Rawtenstall requiring 69 to win with 3 wickets remaining. Whitehead and Norman Coupe edged along cautiously until Ronnie Laughlin was recalled to the attack.

Laughlin, who had claimed Cowell's wicket the previous evening, mopped up the tail to register figures 4-8 in 5.5 overs as Rawtenstall were all out for 160. Accrington had won their first trophy since 1916 much to the delight of their vociferous supporters.

Round 1 Sunday 30th May 1965
Accrington 71, Rawtenstall 125
Rawtenstall had a 54 run win at Accrington. The home sides professional Ken Grieves was not required to bowl as Rawtenstall were dismissed for 125. Alan Worsick took 4-45, Derek Mark 3-32 and Derek Rushton 2-35 with Eric Howarth hitting 32 not out and Brian Manning 25. David Lloyd fought a lone battle against the pace of professional Lester King (4-19) and Rod Taylor (3-40) and the off spin of Maurice Davies (3-4), scoring 29 of his sides 71 all out.

Round 2 Sunday 16th June 1968
Accrington 159, Rawtenstall 160-9
There was another nailbiting match at Thorneyholme Road which saw Rawtenstall avenge defeat the previous day to come away with a 1 wicket win over Accrington. Visiting professional John Grant took 5-65 as Accrington were bowled out for 159 with 1 ball remaining of their 36 overs in front of a crowd of just under 2,000. Derek Rushton made 36, Russ Cuddihy 32, Alan Richardson 23, Geoff Hayhurst 18 and Lindon Dewhurst 17 for the home side. Accrington professional Graeme Corling clean bowled Geoff Heaton for 8 after the opener had been reprieved when Hayhurst missed him. Stand-in wicketkeeper Rushton then took a superb diving catch to remove Harold Lister off the bowling of Geoff Woodcock but then Keith French (41) and Brian Chapman (34) put Rawtenstall back in the match with a 3rd wicket stand which was broken when Alan Worsick pulled off a superb catch off his own bowling to remove Chapman. Worsick then removed Graham Lord without scoring but Grant and French again turned the match the visitors way. The Australian survived a high catch to Dewhurst at mid on with the total on 104, but 4 runs later French fell to Corling. Brian Manning joined Grant to take the score up to 146 when both men were out. Grant was run out for 38 and Manning was caught by Richardson for 14. Maurice Davies became Woodcock's third victim for 6 which left Rawtenstall needing just 1 to win off the last over with 1 wicket standing. Corling's first ball was hit for a match winning single by John Seal to send Rawtenstall into the semi finals.

Round 1 Sunday 7th May, 4th, June 1972
Rawtenstall 146-8, Accrington 142
Rawtenstall had a 4 run win against Accrington with professional Dave Orchard (5-74) and George Croisdale (5-45) taking 5 wickets each to dismiss Accrington for 142. Malcolm Taylor made 25 and Ian Birtwistle 21 for Accrington with Duncan Ramsbottom hitting an unbeaten 59 and Alan Holt 30 in Rawtenstall's 146-8.

Worsley Cup Final
Sunday 8th August 1976
Rawtenstall 137, Accrington 120

A crowd of around 5,000 paid record gate receipts of £1451 to see Rawtenstall take on Accrington at Bacup Road. By the start of the match it was standing room only as all seats had been taken.

Accrington won the toss and asked Rawtenstall to bat. The home side lost Terry Holt lbw to Alan Worsick for 7 with the score at 19. Skipper Keith French (31) and Peter Wood (34) put 54 for the 2nd wicket when French was bowled by Accrington skipper Ian Birtwistle. Rawtenstall's dangerous Indian professional Abid Ali came in and raced to 37 as the home side looked set for a big total on 109-2. Wood was run out and then Ali hit Tony Gallagher into Bacup Road for six but when he tried to hoist the same bowler over long on, Worsick took an amazing running catch on the boundary much to the delight of the Accrington supporters who were stationed next to the boundary. The Accrington supporters carried many banners, one of which announced that 'Worsick strikes faster than British Leyland!'

This marked a change in the game with Worsick returning to bowl in tandem with Gallagher. Worsick bowled Brian Chapman for 4 and Gallagher accounted for Graham Lord in the same manner also for 4 to leave Rawtenstall 124-6. Two runs later, Worsick clean bowled both Brian Payne (1) and Brian Manning (1), who followed after two more runs had been added. Big hitting George Croisdale was clean bowled by Gallagher for 3 and Graham Cook was run out for 6 as Rawtenstall were dismissed for 137. Worsick took 4-45 and Gallagher 3-30.

Accrington's reply began well with Peter West hitting 38 before young spinner Chris Flood had him caught by Croisdale with the score on 79. John Swanney was next to go, caught by Abid Ali for 11 with the score on 94. The Indian professional then picked up the wicket of Malcolm Taylor (1) and Flood dismissed opener Geoff Hayhurst, the rock of the innings, caught by Abid Ali for 32 made in 109 balls. Ali then trapped Alan Richardson (4) leg before as 94-1 became 99-5.

The match still favoured the visitors, but then Flood captured the vital wicket of Worsick off his first ball. The Accrington professional prodded forward, but the ball hit his boot and looped up on to his glove, spooning a return catch to Flood as 94-1 suddenly became 99-6.

Accrington now needed 36 off the final six overs with 4 wickets remaining. Alan Kennedy and skipper Ian Birtwistle put on 20, but Kennedy was run out for 7 by a direct hit by Graham Lord from cover and then Gallagher was caught and bowled by Flood without scoring. Dave Parsons hit a single off the third ball he faced, then Birtwistle was stumped by Manning for 11. Two balls later Terry Neville was bowled by Flood without scoring and Accrington's last four wickets had fallen for the addition of just 1 run to give Rawtenstall their first ever Worsley Cup success in their fifth final. Chris Flood finished with the remarkable figures of 7-40 in 10 overs to earn a Lancashire League record collection of £170.88. At total of £750 was taken behind the bar with 2,280 cans of beer and 400 soft drinks sold.


Group 1 Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday 17th, 19th, 20th May 1981
Rawtenstall 127, Accrington 173-7
The competition was played on a group basis for the next two seasons with matches consisting of 48, 6 ball overs. A fine all round performance from professional David Stead took Accrington to a 46 run win at Rawtenstall in the first match in Group 1. Stead scored 92 with three sixes and six fours made in 98 balls with Graham Beech hitting 36 as Franklyn Stephenson took 4-62 for the home side. The rain affected match resumed on Tuesday evening and at the close of play, Rawtenstall were in trouble at 104-6. They eventually made 127 with Stead taking 4-50 and Ian Birtwistle 4-54.

Semi Final Sunday 6th July 1986
Rawtenstall 83, Accrington 218-8

Accrington avenged their 1976 final defeat in style with a 135 run win at Rawtenstall. Accrington again had a bad start, losing Billy Rawstron to professional Tony Merrick's fourth ball before the scoreboard had started ticking. Andy Stevenson (30) and Graham Lloyd (18) again repaired the damage with a 56 run stand, but Merrick removed them both within the space of 1 run. Neil Jones (7) fell to Keith Roscoe at 85-4 but then Rod Tucker (44) and acting skipper David Lloyd (59) put on 67 for the 5th wicket to put Accrington in charge. Mark Aspin (18) added 46 with the skipper, who was 8th out at 202 as Accrington closed on 218-8. Tucker then destroyed Rawtenstall's batting with a 6-31 spell aided by David Lloyd, who took 3-18 to roll the home side over for 83. Merrick top scored with 17 for the home side before being superbly caught one handed on the boundary by Alan Worsick.

Round 1 Saturday 22nd May 1993
Rawtenstall 112-1, Accrington 111
First match to finish was at Rawtenstall where the home side hammered Accrington by 9 wickets. Professional Michael Bevan took 4-33 and Peter Seal 4-44 to dismiss Accrington for 111. Accrington professional Neil Johnson top scored with 33 with only Mark Demaine (24) and Mark Greenhalgh (17 not out) making double figures down the order. Johnson dismissed John Kershaw for 16, but Bevan smashed seven fours and three sixes off the visiting attack in making an unbeaten 66 with opener Peter Wood keeping him company with an unbeaten 17.