Accrington Cricket Club

Accrington v Colne in The Worsley Cup

The two clubs have met eleven times in the Worsley Cup with six wins for Colne and five wins for Accrington.

The clubs first met in 1921 with Accrington winning by 69 runs at The Horsfield. Three years later the clubs met in the final with Colne winning by 51 runs at Thorneyholme Road. The clubs didn't meet again in the competition until 1967 when Accrington won in the semi final at Colne.

The next meeting was in 1974 when Accrington won a thriller at Thorneyholme Road by just 5 runs in a match that set the template for the title win when the league switched to limited overs the following season.

Controversy surrounded the clubs next meeting in the renamed Martini Cup in 1980. Former Accrington star David Lloyd was engaged as sub professional by Colne against his former club when David Halliwell pulled out with an injury. Colne won the match at the Horsfield but the Lancashire League upheld a protest by Accrington and ordered a replay which Colne again won.

Colne won again in 1995. The last time that Accrington beat Colne in the Worsley Cup was in 1996 with the Chad Grainger (42 and 4-70) and Scott Greaves (5-66) combination taking the home side to a 3 wicket win. Colne have won both subsequent meetings in 1998 and 2010.

Accrington won the last meeting between the clubs by 52 runs in 2012 in a match best remembered for a Worsley Cup record 58 extras conceded by Colne including 45 wides.

Round 1 Saturday 28th May 1921
Colne 75, Accrington 144
The first season in Charlie Llewellyn's second five year spell as Accrington professional saw another run to the Worsley Cup semi final. The side was captained by another Legend, George Parker, arguably the league's greatest ever amateur batsman. The match began 10 minutes late because the charabanc from Accrington was late! The match was frequently interrupted by rain which made conditions difficult. The home side made a great start with professional Ernest Smith removing Bill Finney and Alec Jackson before a run had been scored, but Jimmy Ramsbottom led the fightback with 39, adding 43 for the 4th wicket with Llewellyn (23). Parker made 10 in his first Worsley Cup knock but it was a late 22 from Stan Smith that took Accrington to 144 as the tailenders all added useful runs. Herbert Crabtree took 6-31 for Colne. The home side had no answer to Llewellyn who turned the ball both ways to bamboozle the Colne batsman taking 6-42 with Jackson taking 3-16 from 13 overs to dismiss Colne for 75.


Worsley Cup Final
Wednesday 3rd September 1924
Accrington 67, Colne 118

Colne became the first club to win the Worsley Cup twice by defeating Accrington at Thorneyholme Road by 51 runs.

The visitors won the toss and batted in a match that had twice been postponed due to rain on the two previous Wednesdays. Accrington professional Charlie Llewellyn drew first blood by dismissing Colne opener Watson Nutter, who was caught by Charlie Finney for 3 with the score on 6. Herbert Crabtree (25) and Wilfred Bennett (27) put on 40 before Crabtree skied Llewellyn into the hands of Johnson Moore in the deep.

Stan Smith returned to the attack in place of Alec Jackson and bowled Bennett for 27 with the second ball of his spell. Jack Hardacre didn't last long when Smith shattered his stumps with one that kept low and Llewellyn removed both the Harrisons to put the home side on top but Harry Crabtree opened up to hit 20 and Colne professional Ernie Smith made a swift 12 before being spectacularly caught one handed on the boundary by Accrington skipper Jimmy Ramsbottom.

A smart piece of stumping by Jim Inman to dismiss Gilbert Haddock off Dowling brought the Colne innings to a close for 118 with Llewellyn taking 5-57 in 19 overs, Smith 2-12 and Dowling 3-17.

Accrington's reply began in disastrous fashion with three wickets falling for 12 runs. Home skipper Ramsbottom survived a strong lbw shout in Ernie Smith's second over, but the Colne professional slipped one through his guard to bowl him for a duck. Herbert Crabtree removed Jackson and Stan Smith was trapped in front by his namesake for 2 which brought together Johnson Moore and home professional Llewellyn. These two took the total on to 28 when Moore was bowled by Crabtree for 13.

The fatal blow for Accrington was struck when Llewellyn was run out by a direct hit from Fred Harrison at mid on for 16. Ernie Fitton played Crabtree straight into the hands of Haddock at point and Bill Finney was given out in controversial fashion when Crabtree claimed a catch at slip off Smith. Wickets continued to fall with Smith bowling Dick Eddleston for 6 and Inman being run out for 1. A hard hit 19 from Charlie Finney took Accrington to 67, but Hardacre held a fine catch on the boundary to win the cup for Colne.

Colne professional Smith took 4-27 in 17 overs and Crabtree 4-36 off 16 overs.

Semi final Sunday, Monday 6th, 7th August 1967
Colne 129, Accrington 167-9
A 2nd wicket stand of 104 between Lindon Dewhurst (54) and Russ Cuddihy (56) was the bedrock of the Accrington innings of 167-9 at the Horsfield after Derek Rushton had been dismissed by Colne professional Cec Wright for 2. Frank Misson added 24 and Brian Rutter 18 with Barry Driver taking 2-15 after four wickets had fallen to run outs. In reply, Colne had made 66-3 when the match ended on Sunday due to bad light. The visitors had problems with professional Misson nursing a back injury and Eddie Robinson having to leave the field with an injury sustained when he collided with Dewhurst, who was in the process of catching Bill Greenhalgh off Alan Worsick's bowling. Misson recovered sufficiently on the Monday evening to take a match winning 7-50 in 14.5 overs as Colne were bowled out for 129. Even without the injured Robinson, only a 7th wicket stand of 30 between Alan Braithwaite (11) and Wright (22) held Accrington at bay until a superb running catch by Dewhurst at deep mid wicket broke the partnership. Alan Worsick also took 2-42 for Accrington.

Round 2 Sunday 23rd June 1974
Accrington 168-7, Colne 163
There was an against the odds win at Thorneyholme Road by Accrington, who fought back to earn a 5 run win over Colne. Professional Alan Worsick led the home side's fightback hitting 55, his first ever half century for the club, after early wickets had fallen to professional Bob Letherbarrow. Worsick put on 70 for the 5th wicket with Alan Richardson (20) after the home side were in disarray at 31-4, bringing up his fifty with a huge six into Highams. Ian Birtwistle (31 not out) and Terry Neville then put on 50 for the 8th wicket to take Accrington to 168-7, but Colne were in the driving seat at 156-4 with three overs to go after a 2nd wicket stand of 102 between Letherbarrow (74) and Howard Lonsdale (59). Birtwistle had Letherbarrow caught by Malcolm Taylor, but it was Worsick who turned the match Accrington's way by dismissing Alan Braithwaite, Beechy and Peter Lane in the 34th over. Tony Gallagher bowled Barry Driver for 4 which meant that Colne needed 8 off Worsick's final over for victory. Lonsdale and Bob Little managed singles off the first two balls but Lonsdale was caught behind by Neville off the third and Little was run out off the sixth ball to give Accrington victory.

Round 1 Sunday 18th May 1980
Colne 216-5, Accrington 196
Replay Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 3rd, 4th, 6th June 1980
Accrington 131-9, Colne 134-3
The new Martini Cup began in controversial fashion when former Accrington star David Lloyd was engaged as sub professional by Colne against his former club when David Halliwell pulled out with an injury. Colne won the match at the Horsfield but the Lancashire League upheld a protest by Accrington and ordered a replay which Colne again won. In the first match, Lloyd hit 80, with ten fours and a six, and Geoff Fryers 47 in a 2nd wicket stand of 100 in Colne's 216-5 with wicketkeeper Keith Woodhead also hitting a late unbeaten 42. Accrington openers Graham Beech (78 from 117 balls with seven fours and a six) and John Swanney (51) both made half centuries in Accrington's reply but after an opening stand of 120, Lloyd took 4-68 to dismiss his home town club for 196. The match was replayed during the week preceding the 2nd Round at Thorneyholme Road. This time Accrington batted first and made 131-9 after ending the first night on Tuesday June 3rd on 101-6. Professional Mohsin Khan top scored with 37 with 16 year-old Trevor Kegg taking 3-21 for the visitors. The second evening ended with Colne on 112-2. Rain prevented any play on Thursday but Colne took just 4.1 overs to knock off the 19 needed to win for the loss of the fit again David Halliwell for 28. Geoff Fryers finished unbeaten on 50, his maiden senior half century for the club.

Round 1 Sunday 14th May 1995
Colne 210-6, Accrington 206-9
Both professionals also hit centuries at the Horsfield where Colne beat Accrington by 4 wickets. Accrington paid man Colin Miller hit 103, adding 77 for the 3rd wicket with skipper Mark Aspin (42) as the visitors made 206-9. Miller's 95 ball knock contained 12 fours and six sixes. Martin Whittle (21) and Paul Barratt (15) also chipped in with home skipper Gary Hunt taking 5-43 from a 12 over spell. Miller (3-70) and Aspin (2-46) combined again to have Colne in trouble at 65-4 but professional Scott Williams took charge to score 106 from 100 balls with 11 fours and three sixes to lead Colne to the 2nd round.

Round 1 Sunday 12th May 1996
Accrington 143-7, Colne 142
Accrington won for the first time in the Worsley Cup for five years when they knocked out Colne at Thorneyholme Road. Professional Chad Grainger and Scott Greaves bowled unchanged to restrict Colne to 142. Andy Clark top scored with an unbeaten 51 with Daryl Halstead making 28 at the top of the order and Nick Moulding hitting 20 at the tailend but with nothing in between the visitors struggled against the South African, who took 4-70 and Greaves who took 5-66 in 23.5 overs. Seven batsmen made double figures in the home sides reply, with Grainger top scoring with 42, but it was teenager Alistair Cunliffe who steered Accrington home by 3 wickets with an unbeaten 14.


Round 1 Sunday, Monday 10th, 12th May 1998
Colne 153-5, Accrington 152
Colne progressed the the 2nd Round with a 5 wicket win over Accrington at the Horsfield. Nick Moulding destroyed Accrington's top order in a 10 over spell that saw the medium pacer take 3-10 with professional Ryan Campbell (1), Stefan Heins (0) and Mas Ahmed (3) back in the pavilion at 14-3. Skipper Billy Rawstron (21) began a fightback but his side were again struggling at 65-6 and 118-8. Zahir Afzal proved to be the man of the hour hitting 48 with assistance from Martin Whittle (17) and Mark Demaine (16) to enable Accrington to make 152. It was anybody's game when play was halted with Colne on 109-4 with 8 and a half overs remaining. Andy Clark made 31 and Justin Nutter was unbeaten on 27. Tariq Hussain soon removed Nutter (29) but Gary Hunt hit 13 off Steve Juliff's first full over of the evening to put the home side back in contention. Hunt (33 not out) and Andy Roberts (22 not out) then steered to victory with 4 balls left.

Round 2 Saturday 5th June 2010
Colne 208, Accrington 154

Next to bottom side Colne notched up third successive win in four games since the return of professional Anwar Ali at the expense of league champions Accrington for the second match running. There was no great drama this time though as Colne came out on top with a comfortable 54 run win after being bowled out for 208. Skipper Matt Wilson's season of half centuries continued with his fourth in league and cup as he passed 400 runs in all games with a fine 53. He hit seven fours and faced 78 balls. Jeff Ellis made 40 and Ryan Procter 28 but Colne's total was swollen by 34 extras, including 23 wides. Paul Carroll picked up 3-27, Simon Hanson 2-17 and Damian Clarke 2-34. Ali struck immediately by ending Carroll's promotion with his second ball and Ellis sent back Liam Brankin, who had earlier picked up three catches on his senior debut for Accrington, also for nought. Professional Will Driver and Simon Hanson pulled the innings round with a stand of 60 before the left hander fell to John Lambert for 33. Lambert also removed Stuart Crabtree (6) and Graham Lloyd (15) and then Matt Walker accounted for Matt Wilson (9). Driver completed his half century, making 52 from 78 balls with eight fours and a six before becoming Walker's second victim. Ali returned to remove Jimmy Hayhurst with the first ball of his third spell and he then sent back Waqas Ahmed (11) and finally Clarke as Accrington were dismissed for 154. Ali took 4-27 and Lambert 3-47. Scorecard

Round 1 Sunday May 20th 2012
Accrington 149, Colne 97

Accrington won a 1st round tie for the first time since 2001, beating Colne by 52 runs at Thorneyholme Road. Accrington's score of 149 owed much to the fine batting of Stuart Crabtree and the inaccuracy of the Colne attack that saw an amazing 58 extras registered including 45 wides. Crabtree top scored with 46, a competition best by the left hander. He hit seven fours and faced 100 balls and he was the last man out. A fine spell by Khurram Nazir, who took 3-13 from 10 overs with 6 maidens, saw the home side struggle to 35-4. Matt Walker also picked up 3-33 and Nathan Whitehead 2-36. David Ormerod removed Lewis Rimmer for 9 and skipper Jimmy Hayhurst (4-20) trapped Justin Nutter for 5 before taking the prize wicket of Colne professional Shadley van Schalkwyk for 5 courtesy of a fine catch behind by Matt Wilson. Wickets fell at regular intervals with Ashar Zaidi's fine catch to remove Nazir (10) another feature of the Accrington fielding. Bradley Ramshead (11 not out) and David Walbank held Accrington up with a last wicket stand of 17, but Bryn Hargreaves took the final wicket to see Accrington to victory. Scorecard

The Club